Hometown Hero Banner Program
About the Program
The City of Dallas Military Hometown Hero program provides the opportunity for the community to recognize and honor Dallas residents and their immediate family members who have served or are currently serving in the United States Armed Forces. The Military Hometown Hero banner will be displayed from City-owned streetlight poles and will promote civic pride. In order to allow for a coordinated and consistent program, the City has established the following policy and guidelines for the Military Hometown Hero Banner Program.
- Active, retired, or honorably discharged members of the five United States Armed Forces service branches (Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, and Navy).
- A current City of Dallas resident OR
- Graduated from Dallas High School OR
- An immediate family member of a current resident (spouse, parent, sibling, child or child-in-law, or grandchild)
Proof of eligibility will be required before an application is considered complete.
- Proof of residency (e.g., copy of utility bill or driver license) of the nominee (or applicant who is the immediate family member of the nominee), or school transcript of the nominee
- Verification of active duty dates (e.g., copy of military orders or military ID)
- Honorable discharge or retirement papers with SSN redacted
- High-resolution digital image (minimum 300 dpi) in jpeg format or 5x7 photograph of honoree in official uniform (with no objects). Original photos will be returned.
Application and Sponsorship
- A written application for placement of a Hero banner must be completed on a form provided by the City.
- An application fee of $100 must be paid at the time of application.
- If the applicant is not the person to the honored, the honoree must consent to the Hero banner, if the honoree is living.
- An applicant may be recognized as a sponsor on the Hero banner. If the applicant wishes to be recognized as a sponsor, the applicant must indicate on the application the name(s) by which the applicant wishes to be identified. (Space limitations may affect sponsor recognition.)
- The City has designated the light poles on the 600-900 blocks of Main Street as the initial location for this program. Future locations may be identified by the City at a later date depending on the need.
- Available space is determined on a first-come, first-served basis among qualified applicants. All banner locations shall be determined solely by the City of Dallas.
- The banners will be displayed from mid-May through mid-June of each year and will be displayed a minimum of 2 years, or until the banner starts to show deterioration.
- At the end of the program, City staff will contact the applicant to offer them the banner; all banners that remain unclaimed after 60 days from removal will become the property of the City.
- In addition to the streetlight pole banners, the City will also display the banners images on the City’s website for year-round display.
Waiver and Limitations
- The City of Dallas is not responsible for replacing banners that are stolen, damaged, or destroyed due to age, vandalism, or any acts of nature, including high winds.
- Any loss or damage to an installed banner will be handled at the discretion of the City.
- The City reserves the right to not install a banner if the requirements of this banner program are not met.